The GPE Photojet Guide Sensor Model 31570 Dynaguide Centerguide Sensor includes two 6-inch Photojet center guide sensors. These sensing heads consist of a light source and photo-conductive cells. The light source is a 6-watt tubular fluorescent lamp that operates on 115 volts AC, 50/60 Hz.
The photoconductive cell is a cadmium sulfide strip 6 inches long. Its resistance varies with the amount of light falling on it. A pair of adjustable shutters in each photocell housing provides for electrically balancing the sensing heads on each side of the web. The sensors are used with the Model 33130D Digital Amplifier, in which the sensor’s resistive web position signals are converted to a voltage signal to operate the moving coil of an electrohydraulic controller.
The sensor’s photocells are supplied with a low-level (15V) DC voltage, this ensures a long service life. The amplifier also contains an output voltmeter to aid in the initial set-up and for continuous monitoring of sensors during operation. Power input to the amplifier is 115 volts AC (± 10%), 50/60 Hz, 70 VA.
Principle of Operation
The resistance of the photoconductive cell varies, depending on the amount of light falling on it. The cells are placed in opposite legs of a bridge circuit with the input of the amplifier so connected to the bridge to act as a null detector.
When the web is centered, the resistance to both photocells is equal, therefore, the input voltage signal to the amplifier from the bridge is zero and no output to the moving coil. Lateral movement of the web causes resistance of one cell to increase and thereby unbalancing the bridge. This produces voltage to the amplifier. The output of the amplifier is proportional to the input voltage, this will cause the electrohydraulic controller to initiate the corrective movement to correct the deviation.
- No Operator Adjustments: Sensors scan ±6 inches lateral displacement, web density has no effect on control
- Reliability: No transistors or vacuum tubes ensure longer life
- High Accuracy: Detects and guides web better than plus or minus 1/8″ from center where extreme mean centerline accuracy is required
- Simplified Installation: The sensor is pre-wired with a covered cable which can be connected to the amplifier. The amplifier mounts to a wall or floor.
- Rugged Construction: The construction of sensor housing is heavy cast aluminum with easy access to the light sources and photoconductive cells. The amplifier is enclosed in a heavy gauge steel weatherproof enclosure.
GPE Photojet Guide Sensor Specifications
- Accuracy: Better than ± 1/8 inches when incorporated in a Dynaguide system and installed in accordance with standard specifications.
- Sensitivity: Full correction speed with .005 inches of lateral displacement of an opaque material.
- Power: Sensor Input – 115 VAC (±10%) 60 Hz. 2 amps per sensor Amplifier Output – Zero to plus and minus 10 VDC, into 320 ohm moving coil load.
- Temperature: Range +10°F to 130°F Construction Aluminum
- Weight: 5 Lbs
Download Datasheet: GPE 31570 6-Inch Photojet Edge Guide Sensor